Friday, March 28, 2008

Who Said Management Can't be Fun?


I went to an excellent pre-conference on management where one of the presenters, Pam Parr, promised me before the session started that "it wouldn't suck". She was right!

Both Pam and Gail Johnson (pictured) have over 30 years of experience in management and both relate to any workplace as a three ringed circus. There are a lot of different performers and always a lot of things going on at the same time. The tent of the circus is held up by 5 poles and each of these poles must remain strong or the tent will collapse.
These five poles are:


  1. Communication

  2. Accountability

  3. Staff Development

  4. Empowerment

  5. Influence

The session also gave me the opportunity for me to talk with other managers at my table including some wonderful folks from Frisco Public Library in Texas. When I talked about the innovative things that CML does they were all very impressed.


I had a great time and met some nice folks.


I guess management can be fun;)

No comments: