Thursday, March 27, 2008

Carnegie with a Yak

Wow - that opening session with John Wood was awe-inspiring! Founder of Room to Read and author of Leaving Microsoft to Change the Word, Wood was an energetic and inspiring speaker. His goal is to reach 10 million children with the gift of lifelong education by 2020. Talk about a BHAG! His mission is for the needy of the 3rd world, but I feel like we can learn alot from his drive and philosophy as we strive to serve people in poverty in the US.

Points I gleaned:
He strives to have "the heart of Mother Theresa and the scaleability of Starbucks"

  • Education is a hand up, not a hand out.
  • Involve local people, especially parents, to increase the likelyhood that your work will continue after you've moved on. You can only help people who want to help themselves. Didn't we just hear this at the Bridges Out of Poverty workshops?
  • Literacy is a long-arc proposition
  • We need to find a way to get beyond the "they should do something about that" mentality.
  • Have an intense focus on results - GSD - Get . . . you know . . . Stuff Done - what gets measured gets done
  • Dream big - go big or go back home

Oh, and did I mention how great a job he does at telling the story? The story of mothers walking down a 2 mile mountain to carry 110 bags of concrete on their backs. Stories of children mashing the "stage" when he opened the boxes of books. Stories of children who are helping to write some of the very first pictures book (ever!) in their local language.

Leaves me thinking "Daddy, will you help me buy a yak?" But seriously, I think our yak is our service, and with nearly 73% of Cols City School children on free or reduced lunch, we have our own huge gulf to cross (and sometimes our own rickety bridges). Of course, those of you who know me know that I have a lot of BHAGs, and thankfully they seem to align with our TP - raise the literacy level of the neighborhood being my biggest and haggiest.

And what about the Big Hairy Audacious Questions? Here are mine:

  • What can we do to really get our local parents or teachers or community leaders involved in leading Ready to Read workshops?
  • What barriers do we still have that keep us from GSDing, and how do we break them down?
  • And, because it's been a long day and I didn't really get much dinner, when is my delivery guy going to arrive with my Mostaccioli?

1 comment:

bbiegler said...

I agree 100%! John Wood was truly inspiring to listen to and his comments started my mind racing about all that we need to and CAN do for our communities.