Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Minneapolis Central Library

Wow! Is all I can say. I spend a great deal of time in the Minneapolis Central Library yesterday. I loved the design and the space layouts. New materials for each division were displayed in the division on low shelving that allowed a lot of face out shelving. The Children's area had a glass enclosed room designated for folklore and fairy tales. Nice idea! The teen area was off by itself, glass enclosed, deep red walls with awesome shelving and totally packed. They have closed stacks with study tables available for those using items. Very quiet in this area. Also, lots of tables for folks to spread out and work from. I will try and upload some pictures. Not a lot of staff floating around, but those I saw were very friendly and made it a point to greet hte customers. The Central Library is closed on Sundays and Mondays. Oh, one other thing I noticed...security officers were in plain clothes and while I was there they made a call for the detox police van (yes, a unit solely dedicated to handling folks who had too much to drink) and it arrived within 5 minutes to remove the customer.

No comments: